ADSM-L

Re: Difference between dsmlabel and internal "label volume" comma nds

2000-01-04 14:49:46
Subject: Re: Difference between dsmlabel and internal "label volume" comma nds
From: "France, Don (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:49:46 -0600
Like Mecki, we have standardized our server and client installs so the
/usr/lpp/adsm... are separate filesystems and are included in rootvg;  we
then run mksysb nightly, so in case of disaster, the machine is quickly
re-built to the point where ADSM can be started.

For what you ask, out tape librarian previously had run dsmlabel, without
deleting the drive.  Once we got to v3, they use the internal label command
for everything.  They intermixed tapes between v2 and v3, indiscriminately
and never complained about this kind of problem;  the only time they got in
trouble was when they used checkout/checkin with older 3590 tapes, written
at the old density... needed to be instructed on checkin as read-only, so
ADSM would not try to open for output, even when using for input to a MOVE
DATA or reclamation process. We use 3590 & 3575 tapes -- if that makes any
difference, I don't know.

Regards,
Don France

Technical Architect, P.A.C.E.