ADSM-L

Re: Disk Storage Migration Issue

2000-01-04 13:01:37
Subject: Re: Disk Storage Migration Issue
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:01:37 -0500
Well... ok, when migration starts, adsm gathers lists of "stuff" to migrate
number of migration tasks is set by
1) migpr
2) # drives
3) # of unique node's data in a stgpool

(it will be the least of the above)

I believe ADSM in being more memory kind has reduced the size of the initial
list of "stuff" to migrate per task and when it finishes with one list of
"stuff" (task/migration process) it then checks the high/low values against
current conditions to see if it should gather another list of "stuff" and
continue with a new migration process...

I use admin schedules to start migration when I want and then reset High/Low
values about 1 hour before I want it to really be out of the system (so
basically I'm allowing 1 hour for running migration tasks to end)  I could
see where a quick reset back to the higher values wouldn't totally clear the
pool.

I wouldn't excatly call it premature termination... more like the tasks at
hand complete and the conditions to initiate a new one don't exist anymore
(and this is because individual tasks seem to build smaller lists to
process.....)

Dwight