ADSM-L

Re: HP client oddity

2000-01-04 09:21:17
Subject: Re: HP client oddity
From: "CANNAM, CYNTHIA L (SBCSI)" <CC5657 AT MOMAIL.SBC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:21:17 -0600
Richard:

I absolutely agree that the data is what matters, and the simple fact is,
the files under the directories WERE indeed correct for the date/time stamps
requested for restore. And maybe the anal retentive nature of this group is
preventing them from seeing this fact. Unfortunately, this particular
user/application group doesn't KNOW what's needed whenever they request a
restore of X number of files (this may be from a lack of understanding of
their application, or simply too many people performing too many "things" to
the data during a short time span via manual processes or scripts) --- they
frequently tell the systems administrator that she's restored too much data,
but can't tell her what data is too much, and what data should actually be
there, but this is out of the scope of this discussion.

Maybe tuning the serialization and mode parms on the policy for this
particular machine may help. But I do admit that it's a little difficult to
get these people to recognize that the data is what matters and not the
date/time stamps on a directory --- if they're certain their good data
should have this or that time stamp on it (even though they can't tell the
sys admin WHAT stamp that should be), we're stuck in a rip in the space/time
continuum... :)

Thanks for your info!

Cindy Cannam

Cynthia L. (Cindy) Cannam, MBA
SWBT Systems Manager/ADSM Technical Support
(314)340-0722 office
(314)879-1696 pager
(314)340-0992 fax
Nearly Native Floridian Freezing in the Midwest...