ADSM-L

HP client oddity

2000-01-03 16:33:55
Subject: HP client oddity
From: "CANNAM, CYNTHIA L (SWBT)" <CC5657 AT MOMAIL.SBC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:33:55 -0600
All:

I had one of our systems administrators point out an interesting phenomenon
on an HP-UX 10.x client running ADSM 3.1.0.3. She had received a restore
request, and once she had placed the restored files and directories out on
the target machine, the users came back screaming that she had restored the
wrong information! She checked and rechecked the information she received,
and attempted several more restores of the same material before she finally
called me with the problem.

The problem is: nightly an incremental backup is performed on this one
machine. It runs two fairly large applications with a total of about 3/4 TB
storage utilized. When she restored the files for the users of one of the
applications, she noticed that the FILES were actually correctly date/time
stamped under the individual directories restored, but the DIRECTORIES were
showing OLDER date/time stamps. In reviewing the SAME FILES AND DIRS on the
target machine, she noted that the DIRS all showed NEWER date/time stamps
than the ones ADSM/TSM restored.

I checked the syntax of her selections in the GUI, and asked the normal
questions about scripts running against the files and dirs she was
restoring, etc. Nothing was unusual or out of whack. But the fact remains
that despite the DIRECTORIES changing on the physical machine and attaining
new data/time stamps as a result, the same DIRS within ADSM/TSM did NOT
reflect the new dates/times. BUT the files underneath each DIRECTORY DID
change correctly, and showed new date/time stamps as would be expected.
Technically, ADSM/TSM IS backing up the files and directories each night,
but it's as though date/time stamp changes on the directories only are not
being picked up. And I find nothing unusual with the set up of this box as
opposed to the other 300 HP clients we have.

Has anyone else seen this behavior from an HP client? Any suggestions on how
we can fix this? The sys admin is planning to upgrade the machine to the
latest client code, but it's not slated for at least 6 weeks. I'd like to
get an explanation to her and to the users, and a correction on the machine
prior to any upgrades.

Thanks much!

Cindy Cannam

Cynthia L. (Cindy) Cannam, MBA
SWBT Systems Manager/ADSM Technical Support
(314)340-0722 office
(314)879-1696 pager
(314)340-0992 fax
Nearly Native Floridian Freezing in the Midwest...