ADSM-L

Re: Y2K ADSM System "Snapshot"

1999-12-27 13:44:43
Subject: Re: Y2K ADSM System "Snapshot"
From: David Bohm <bohm AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:44:43 -0700
One suggestion would be to create a new copy storage pool and do a
storage pool backup of your primary storage  pools to that new copy
storage pool.  After that backup completes then take a full data base
backup.  That full data base backup along with the tapes from that new
copy storage pool would then give you a point in time recovery for your
ADSM server (such as the end of the year).

I am not sure there is enough information in your message for me to fully
understand your requirements or reasons behind them.  I do not think you
need to do anything to destroy your current copy storage pool though.  That
is your protection now from media failure.  I would hate to see you discard
that data then find some tape error trying to recreate it.  In addition, if
you
are willing to use that copy storage pool now as your Y2K contingency plan
then just get a full data base backup after your last storage pool backup
for
the year, then quit using the copy storage pool.  I do not like this
recommendation
though, because then you will not have full benefit of your copy storage
pool in the new year during that few weeks of contingency plan.

I guess if we understood your exact requirements better then maybe we
could make more suggestions if this does not sound reasonable.

David Bohm
ADSM server development
email - bohm AT us.ibm DOT com

>I need to take a snapshot of my ADSM system in a pre-Y2K state.  These
tapes
>are to be held in reserve for a few weeks as a Y2K contingency plan for
>recovery.
>
>One way to accomplish this, so I have been told, would be to mark all the
>tapes in the COPYPOOL (the DR set of tapes) as destroyed.  The system
would
>then re-create each of the 230 tapes exactly as they were.
>
>Another option would be to delete each of the COPYPOOL volumes with a
>discarddata=yes.  We then could "rebuild" the COPYPOOL tapes, and get a
full
>reclamation in the process.
>
>Would anyone care to comment on the
advantages/disadvantages/risks/benefits