ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT Client and PcAnywhere

1999-12-21 18:22:11
Subject: Re: Windows NT Client and PcAnywhere
From: "France, Don (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:22:11 -0600
For those who are abit anxious, as we were, I recommend you consider using
Rconsole from NT-server resource kit;  it gives you a robust cmd.exe
environment (ie, you can even run "edit.com" the full-screen MS-DOS editor).

We now use it instead of SMS, etc... this is a video- & keyboard-memory
mapped, cmd-line session, uses full/normal NT credentials for login  ---
kinda like NT's version of secureTelnet.  I run "dsmc" instead of web-client
if net-response is a slow connection;  also, dsmcutil and all its functions.
This is "way kool"!!!  Only serious (?) drawback is you cannot do
remote-shutdown... you'll have that with the remote-admin that comes in
Win2k-Server.

There are several (at least 4 in the NT reskits) solutions to getting
Telnet-like connection, this seems to be the *best* as it does not just
re-direct stdin/stdout, *and* uses current login credentials -- so security
risk is nil, other than normal NT risk.  The service allows up to ten
simultaneous connections, although there are reported problems when you
reach the 10th session... so, 1st nine work great!

Don France
Technical Architect, P.A.C.E.
EDS-Ph:  (707) 226-0640