ADSM-L

Garbage characters in the ADSM Web admin interface

1999-12-21 11:34:36
Subject: Garbage characters in the ADSM Web admin interface
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:34:36 -0600
Greetings,
    I have a customer with a AIX ADSM 3.1.2.40 server.  It was
originally a ADSM 2 server, and was upgraded by my customer to ADSM 3,
then I upgraded it to ADSM 3.1.2.20, then later to .40.  Ever since we
have installed version 3, we have not been able to get the Web admin
interface to work properly.  It works kinda-sorta; in other words, it
appears to work for a few screens, then it will get some garbage
characters scattered in the middle of the HTML data, which messes up the

way it works.  If you 'reload' from your browser, sometimes it repaints
the screen and straightens it out, sometimes not.  In fact, if you do
things like issue a 'help' command from the Web command line, you will
even get garbage characters right in the text of the help output!  If
you issue the help command again, you will get different garbage
characters in different places.  This is happening running the Web
client using IE or Netscape, from more than one PC or NT workstation.
    I have installed the ADSM server on AIX, Sun, and NT servers many
times, and this is the only ADSM customer where I have seen this
problem.  I don't know what to blame it on.
    One thing I tried was taking down the ADSM server, and reloading the

.idl file using 'dsmserv runfile dsmserv.idl'.  This ran fine and gave
me the expected messages, but didn't solve the problem.
    Has anyone seen this?   Is it possibly a TCP/IP problem?  This ADSM
server is running on a busy AIX 4.3.2 system running a large Oracle
database, so any general TCP/IP problems I would expect to manifest
themselves in other ways, like NFS timeouts, or SQLnet hangs, or
something.

Thanks,
John Schneider

* John D. Schneider   Email: jdschn AT attglobal DOT net * Phone: 636-349-4556
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.