ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: Antwort: Configuration Question

1999-12-20 02:33:17
Subject: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Configuration Question
From: "Mecki M." <rmeschon AT OTELO.IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:33:17 +0100
Hi Scott,

>Also, a new little wrinkle...  How do you structure your domain statement?
>was using:
>     Domain                /    /usr    /home    /var    /bgs501
>/usr/local/Tivoli   /sqr   /home/psoft

Yes, that's the structure I work with.

>Then someone deleted some filesystems without telling me so my backup
failed.
>The log showed this:
>     Successful incremental backup of '/var'
>     Incremental backup of volume '//bgs501'
>     Incremental backup of volume '//sqr'
>     Incremental backup of volume '/home/psoft'
>     Incremental backup of volume '/home/patrol'
>     Successful incremental backup of '/home/patrol'
>
>Notice the extra "/" in two of the three missing filesystems.  What is
that all
>about???

The only thing I could imagine is that the missing filesystems were
searched under /
Another thing: Do the mount point's still exist ore are they also deleted?

>I then changed my domain to look like:
>     Domain                /    /usr/    /home/    /var/    /bgs501/
>/usr/local/Tivoli/   /sqr/   /home/psoft/

Sorry, I don't know what this should be good for!

>And got the following in my log:
>     Incremental backup of volume '/bgs501/*'
>     Incremental backup of volume '/sqr/*'
>     Incremental backup of volume '/home/psoft/*'
>     Incremental backup of volume '/home/patrol/*'
>     Successful incremental backup of '/home/patrol/'
>
>This time while they still failed since they were not found, ADSM did not
add
>any extra "/"!  Is this indicative of a problem or
>is everything still OK?

In my opinion this is indicating a problem with your domain statement!
The (asteriks) * is standing for a file but the backup indicates it as a
volume.
You should check what really gets back up in this case.
I think having a curious message for a filesystem which doesn't exist
doesn't matter.
But having one for an existing filesystem (/home/patrol referenced as
/home/patrol/*)
is some kind of suspicious and might cause problems while restoring.

Regards
     Mecki