ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli monitors TSM?

1999-12-17 15:54:10
Subject: Re: Tivoli monitors TSM?
From: Glen Hattrup <ghattrup AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:54:10 -0700
Typical development caveats apply to this message.  This message does not
constitute any guarantee or promise of development effort for / from the
TSM product or family.  In other words, some things might change from the
way they are now.....

Nick Laflamme <nlaflamme AT DIMENSION DOT NET>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 12/17/1999
11:45:40 AM
>What's the Tivoli "thingie" that lets a Tivoli Enterprise Console (or
other
>Tivoli "thingie") do real-time monitoring of TSM 3.7 servers? (In a VM
>context, I'd use PROP or VM:Operator to watch the console; I'm looking for
>similar function in a distributed environment.)
There are several "thingie"s (to borrow your technical term, :-) that allow
for integration between the TSM 3.7 servers and the rest of the Tivoli
Enterprise Suite (note, suite not console... )

And since it's the holidays, I'll expound a little further on what these
various thingies are.

First off: TEC (Tivoli Enterprise Console) integration:  beginning with
ADSM 3.1.x, an integration point was included to allow an ADSM server to
notify the TEC of important TSM Server messages (with a little
administrator work to set it up).  Check the chapter "Monitoring your
Server" in the admin guide for the details on setting up this
implementation (Chap 17 for 3.1.x manuals, and chap 18 for the 3.7.x
manuals).      The Holiday bonus information:  With the TSM update coming
out in April (?  or June... ?), the enhanced TEC support will be added.
This will allow unique event classes to be sent up to the TEC and better
integration with various TDP agents.  Specifically, this ties into some of
the updates made in the recent release of TDP Exchange & SQL.  The other
agents are also slated to have this capability sometime in the year 2000,
from my understanding.  And in any case, the enhanced TEC support should
provide greater flexibility at the admin's level along with some sample
files / rule sets / etc....

"But Wait!  There's other integration areas:"

Second:  There is a file called "tivready.dsm", which should reside in your
TSM server/bin directory.  Tivoli Inventory should be able to detect that
file and have the TSM server show up on the Inventory screen / punch list.
I haven't worked with this feature, so my knowledge is a little fuzzy, my
apologies.  Check the docs for the details....

Third:  There are also a pair of .amp & .slf files that allow for
integration with the Tivoli Global Enterprise Manager (console), or GEM for
short.  One file (the .amp, I believe) needs to reside on the Tivoli GEM
console machine so the console is aware of what to look for.  The other
file (.slf) resides on your TSM server and works with the .amp file.  At
this time, the GEM console can determine if a TSM server is up and running
or not.

The TEC & GEM console(s) provide real-time insight into the operation of
your TSM servers.  The GEM is very good for providing a graphical display
and visual indicators of severe difficulties with operation (server
abends...).  The TEC provides a very good detailed look into the server
operation, but it requires more effort to set up and customize for your
implementation than GEM does.  Together, they can provide a very good means
of monitoring your system

>I've looked on the TSM pages at tivoli.com, but apart from one vague
>allusion to some Decision Support support, I haven't found enough yet to
>figure out what question I should be asking, let alone what the answers
>might be.

Tivoli Decision Support is another tool that facilitates designing your
implementation and providing information on how your system(s) is / are
performing.  It is not a real time product, per se, especially given the
nature of its operation.

"Wow!  This is wonderful, but I can't seem to find the files!"  :-)

The TEC integration is already incorporated into your TSM / ADSM v3 server.
You will need to import a .baroc file (located in the TSM / ADSM server
directory) into your TEC server, but the other functionality is already in
the TSM server.  Again, please refer to your documentation for more
information on this!

The GEM files (.amp & .slf) are a matched pair, but should exist on both
your TSM server installation CDs as well as in your server directory.  If
nothing else, you can get the v3.7 files from ftp://storage.boulder.ibm.com
under the path tivoli-storage-manager/patches/server-GEM.  There's a .txt
file per platform explaining what you should do and where to put the files.

>Sorry for the vagueness,

These are very large products, and it's tough to know the "exact" question
to ask.  I hope I've provided enough information to get you started further
into research to determine what your needs are and what product /
functionality fulfills your needs.  My guess is that if you already have a
TEC up and running, that this would be the best path to follow.  The TEC is
extremely powerful and provides many means of monitoring agents (eg. TSM
server), including very complex rules.

Glen Hattrup
Tivoli Storage Manager
Server Development Team