ADSM-L

Re: How to delete Informix logs

1999-12-17 01:23:21
Subject: Re: How to delete Informix logs
From: Eric Tang <tangeric AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:23:21 +0800
Hi Eduardo,

I am backing up Oracle DB by ADSMConnectAgent with EBU/RMAN and Oracle
Archived logs as  Unix files by "dsmc archive".
For online backup, typical retention example is, 14 days for daily backup
on Mon to Sat, 5 weeks for weekly backup on Sun.

mgmtclass daily (14 days) & weekly (35 days) is defined for these kind of
daily/weekly backup retention.
There is self-developed script to check periodically if archived log is
present in archive directory, if so invoke "dsmc archive" to back it up
with the corresponding mgmtclass and clean it up from disk.

If restore from daily db backup, there is sufficient archived log for
recover db to current point.
If restore from weekly db backup (eg the one 4 weeks ago), the archived log
retained is at least sufficient to recover the db to some pervious point of
time.
Infact, the requirement is to retain archived log within that online backup
period in order for the online backup image to be a recoverable one.

For large db which are only backup in weekend. Eg, retain 3 months for the
one on last weekend and 6 weeks for the others.The same principle is
applied.
mgmtclass weekly(42 days) monthly (93 days).

Don't know if my case can help you. If so, you can consider using "dsmc
archive". Thanks.

Regards,
Eric Tang