ADSM-L

Re: ADSM system scaling

1999-12-16 10:57:36
Subject: Re: ADSM system scaling
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:57:36 -0500
OK, I've got 12 adsm servers across 4 locations in 3 states...
mainly S70's... 3 R40's still and 1 591 (or 59H ? I can't remember)

FIRST of all... force client compression... if they don't have the horse
power to perform it, they should upgrade their processors !
(but also upgrade your processor by all means ;-)  )

Now you will notice that the file size has a lot to do with task times
within adsm.
It can move more GB's in less time if it consists of a minimal quantity of
files.
(100 - 1 GB files takes longer to back up than 1 - 100 GB file)

On one specific S70 we take in about 1.7 TB of client "filespace" data
nightly (per 24 hour period)
(OK, it takes about 15 hours currently 'cause we push it down one fddi pipe,
we are looking at splitting it across two in order to reduce time)
With client compression ('cause it is mainly a big oracle db) it packs down
to under 400 GB.
It comes in through a single FDDI interface
We only have 4 - 3590B's on this box and most of the time not all of them
are being used.
(remember, migration process limits are A) number of drives available B)
your set migration proc limit C) number of unique client's data within the
pool being migrated )
Here is a vmstat while this box is under client load...

 > vmstat 3 3
kthr     memory             page              faults        cpu
 r  b   avm   fre  re  pi  po  fr   sr  cy  in   sy  cs us sy id wa
 r  b   avm   fre  re  pi  po  fr   sr  cy  in   sy  cs us sy id wa
 0  0 131127   122   0   0   0 570 1146   0 517  965 1100  6 22 14 57
 2  4 130836   132   0   3   3 3438 3899   0 2730 4437 5443  8 32  2 58
 2  2 130836   133   0   0   0 3599 5787   0 2681 3787 5425  5 29  1 64

This is with 30 inbound client sessions and one migration process running

I just noticed you are in town... I'll give you a call...

Dwight