ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Storage Pool Performance

1999-12-16 07:39:09
Subject: Re: ADSM Storage Pool Performance
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:39:09 -0500
Simon

No, I am not against caching.  At this time, we are taking it on a "case by
case" basis.  We have a total of 4 disk storage pools - two for backups, and
two for archives.  Within the pair, we have one for desktop users, and one
for servers.  This exercise went against only the server backup pool, which
was by far our largest pool.  The smaller pools are the two for archive.
Archiving is not a well used feature in our shop, and so leaving caching on
in these pools is a definite benefit to the customer, since the migration
activity from this pool is very low, and tapes with archived data could very
well be out of our silos when a recall is needed.

As for our backup server pool, the next step will most likely be to turn
caching back on, and see how long it takes to degrade performance.  This will
most likely not happen until after the first of the year.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  simon.s.watson AT shell.com DOT bn at SMTP
Date:    12/15/99 10:31 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for this work, and in particular sharing it.

Have you come up with any recommendations, like purging the cache one a
month or something like that.  I presume you are not recommending to
stop caching alltogether.

Regards,
Simon