ADSM-L

Re: Accessive I/O errors and faling backups.

1999-12-14 11:39:04
Subject: Re: Accessive I/O errors and faling backups.
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:39:04 +0000
Hi Bob,

I replied to Henk yesterday and forgot to cc to list, sorry.

I looked at the sense data Henk sent and I believe that the problem
was a microcode one :  FE 352D.  We've had that one here.  Actually we
know of 6 different 3590E code fails (we no longer have B drives) and
most of the problems are fixed in recent code.  So speak to CE support
is what I said to Henk.  We have had 75 code fails since August and we
have a box with 75 tapes in, waiting to be sure about the fixes!

I understand that if we then relabel the tapes we can use them again.
They're too expensive to discard.

There is also a SARS book in development (I have seen a draft) which
explains the sense data (in actlog message and AIX errpt) and helps
you decide if it is a code fail or data fail.  Ask your CE supoort
about it.

We are currently running (on 3590E) D0IC_966 and just got D0IC_A67
which we may put in later this week - I just updated to 3.1.2.50 today
and don't like to make too many changes at once ;)

I know what you mean about the time :  we spend too many unproductive
hours coping with buggy code ...

Hope this helps, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services           Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK           Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275