ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:36:16
                                                                   Subject:
                                                  Accessive I/O errors and
                                                  faling backups.
                                                             Attachment(s):
We too have seen this problem ever since IBM loaded the "most up to date
microcode" on our tape subsystem (3590-B1 drives, 3494 ATL, AIX 4.3.2, ADSM
v3.1.0.7).  We see the problem sometimes as ANR8820E (VCR data damaged) and
ANR8830E (excessive media failure).  To date, I've removed 15 tapes from
our ATL due to such problems.  I queried our CE who replied that IBM has
"tightened up" a few parameters in the microcode which may cause the drives
to flag tapes that they were previously happy with.  Normally, I would be
satisfied with this explanation if the problem was limited to 1 or 2 tapes,
but I'm at 15 right now and I keep seeing new occurrences at the rate of 2
tapes per week.  So now I'm wondering if IBM is giving us the straight poop
when it says it tightened up the microcode.  If the microcode is buggy and
a fix is forthcoming, then it would be fiscally prudent for me to keep my
15 tapes and reintroduce them to the ATL once the fix is applied.  And on
the other hand, if the microcode is to remain "tight", then IBM has just
rewritten my job description to permanently add 30 minutes to my day to
check for new occurrences of bad tapes, and to do the MOVE DATA to free up
the tapes (as if I have drives to spare for this), and to CHECKOUT the
tapes so that they don't get used again.  By the way, guess who the
manufacturer of our 3590 carts is?  Hmmm...., has IBM found a new way to
sell more tape?

Bob Brazner
Johnson Controls, Inc.
(414) 228-2570