ADSM-L

Backupsets

1999-12-10 00:26:42
Subject: Backupsets
From: Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 23:26:42 -0600
We could use the functionality of a Backupset,  for disaster recovery that
requires no TSM server (mainframe)  involvement.
Our ADSM server is on OS/390  (getting ready to upgrade to TSM).
As I understand it, backupsets can be stored on removable devices, such as
a tape drive connected to the client,  but only for devclasses that are
supported by both the client and the server??
So if I have an OS/390 server, I can only write to mainframe tapes and
mainframe disk or another TSM server?
So my only choice would be to buy another TSM server and put it on a small
platform and generate all backupsets and ship them to that server?
Am I missing something,  or are folks with OS/390 servers really out of
luck for generating a backupset that doesnt require the mainframe to do a
restore?
Thanks for any insight,
Julie