ADSM-L

Re: archive (gotta get it all)

1999-12-09 02:16:14
Subject: Re: archive (gotta get it all)
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:16:14 -0800
Be careful of what you ask for ...  I can see careless users doing an
archive and forgetting to enter the files.  They each archive as much of the
system as they have access to.  Naturally, they doesn't check their results.
Pretty soon tape utilization goes though the roof.  Some way to specify all
filespaces would be useful but some parameter or option (-all=yes) should be
required.

If archive is going to have a backup/exclude list, it should not be the same
one used by backup.  I exclude some file systems from backups, such as those
used by the DBA's for flat file database dumps, that occationally need to be
archived.