ADSM-L

archive (gotta get it all)

1999-12-06 15:17:42
Subject: archive (gotta get it all)
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:17:42 -0600
I can help you with a couple of these things.

We do a yearly archive on 10 CADD servers in our company.  They're NT servers
and our ADSM server is on the VM mainframe.

Because they're NT servers, we can run the archive as an NT service.  We use
the DSMCUTIL command to create a separate NT service for the yearly backup.
We created a separate management class for the yearly archives and at the top
of all our EXCLUDE  statements in the options file we have an INCLUDE
statement which reads:

INCLUDE *:\...\* CEDCADY

Keep in mind, though, that depending on how many machines you're backing up,
this can be a huge amount of data going across your network at a possibly
very busy time of year.  If your major concern is not losing data, I'd make
the extra effort to get exclude statements in there for anything and
everything you don't need to archive.

where CEDCADY is the name of the management class for the yearly archive.

If you're not backing up NT servers, then you'd have to initiate another
scheduled session with ADSM or use whatever other scheduler you're using.

Hope this helps
---------------------- Forwarded by Betsy Moir/LAKE/CHMS/ABBOTT on 12/06/99
6/99

Michael A Cernak