ADSM-L

sun hw upgrade

1999-12-06 11:25:19
Subject: sun hw upgrade
From: "Frost, David" <d.frost AT GUARDIANDR.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:25:19 -0000
hi all,

we are about to upgrade our SUN hardware & processor to a new more powerful
box.  The tape drives & robots will be switched to the new machine.  I
intend to do the upgrade by emptying all disk storage pools,  then
replicating the database, & db logs onto a single disk volume, putting a
small disk storage pool volume on the same disk, and then moving the whole
disk to the new machine.  I will have pre-installed the same version of adsm
server on the new machine.

I am listing the steps I think are necessary below.  It all seems too easy
so what have I forgotten??

All comments gratefully received!!

tia

dave

ADSM h/w upgrade sequence

1.disable sessions early sunday morning
2.run diskpool backup
3.later...force migration to start, with hi=lo=0
4.cancel any sessions still running.
5.Wait for migration to finish
6.Delete a diskpool volume to free up disk to use as a transfer disk
7.create and mount a filesystem on the disk
8.create db files the same size as our existing db partitions
9.triplex the database using these volumes onto the single disk
10.Cut the existing dblog down to 1 section
11.create a dblog file on the disk, and triplex the log onto it.
12.Create files in the remaining space, and add one to each disk storage
pool.
13.Set reclamation thresholds to 100%
14.Vary all tape drives offline; vary scsi robot offline
15.backup current database across nfs to new machine (just in case).
16.Shutdown adsm and server.
17.Load transfer disk to new machine, mount on same mountpoint as on old
18.copy dsmserv.dsk, license files, dsmserv.opt, devconfig, volhist to new
machine
19.reconnect scsi drives and robot to new machine; recheck acsls
connectivety
20.ensure all drives & robot have attached to driver (mt & lb); note new hw
paths
21.change ip address of new machine to that of the old one
22.run up adsm server [...pray...]
23.update drives and scsi robot on new machine to new hardware paths.
24.Delete all storage, database and log file partitions that cannot be found
25.set up new db and log partitions, and move the database and log to them
26.set up new disk storage pool partitions.
27.Vary drives and scsi robot online
28.do test restore to a local machine; do test backup from local machine
29.go live.

The information contained in this email is confidential
The information contained in this email is confidential
and intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. Guardian will
accept no responsibility or liability in respect to this
email other than to the addressee.

notify us immediately by telephone at 44 (0) 1932835900
or by email.