ADSM-L

Re: AS/400 disables compression on Hardware

1999-11-28 09:45:16
Subject: Re: AS/400 disables compression on Hardware
From: "Landreville, Frederic Yahoo" <landrefl AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:45:16 -0500
Here is the story on EOT on AS/400...

The way ADSM stores data on tape is not same as with SAVOBJ or SAVLIB... it
uses the equivalant on a CPYTOTAP... and therefore cannot use compression or
compaction...

With small files... smaller than the ESTCAPACITY value of your tape,  there
is no problem if ADSM reaches the end of tape... but with files that ARE
bigger than the tape, if ADSM reaches EOT, there will be an error and the
tape operation will fail...

We had this problem on 3590B - Estimated Capacity 10G while the real
capacity can go up to 30 gigs... when doing our MS Exhange backup - 35
Gigs... would fail... IBM's solution... change EST CAP to... 9G...

Version 3.1.2 solves this whole problem... but even if I do use more
tapes... I will wait a bit because version 3.1.2 is less than 2 months
old... I will wait for the first problems to be found and fixed...

Version 3.1.2... up to 30 gigs of data on a tape... can't wait...

Frederic Landreville