ADSM-L

Problem restoring files from copy pool

1999-11-24 08:47:35
Subject: Problem restoring files from copy pool
From: Vern Maxson <vmlist AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 05:47:35 -0800
These are 8mm tapes, in good condition, shiny and
unwrinkled, except where the tape drive mangled them
at the very beginning of the two tapes.  We suspect
that the problem reading the label is that the tapes
were labeled, and written to, over five years ago.  We
are beginning to get more errors on older tapes, and
suspect that the signal is simply getting weak.  We
are in the process of copying all the data to new
tapes.  Yes, the data is lost, but if IBM's "move
data" command would let us get past the label, we
could probably recover most, or all, of the data.