ADSM-L

Re: Help: ANY HINTS TO SPEED UP LOADDB are welcome

1999-11-23 03:53:34
Subject: Re: Help: ANY HINTS TO SPEED UP LOADDB are welcome
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:53:34 +0100
Francis,

be cautious about that. I recently loaded our 25 GB DB (more than 90%
filled) on a test server. The LOADDB died several times:
ANR4019E : Load processing failed - insufficient database space.
I had to spend more than 40 GB DB space, until it was successfull.
The reason is: While the ADSM server is quite efficient about page
splits, LOADDB uses the traditional B-tree page split algorithm, which
results in DB pages, which are filled a little more than 50% on the average.
Hopefully, this problem will not show up at your site. Especially since
you have 62GB for 30GB used space.

Regarding the desired DB reduction: wouldn't a combination of defining new
and deleting old DB volumes have helped you? Anyway: I would be interested
to hear from you, whether you achieved it via LOADDB.

Best wishes.

PS: We are four.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet