ADSM-L

Re: Using db2 or oracle or whatever for the TSM DB

1999-11-17 15:43:12
Subject: Re: Using db2 or oracle or whatever for the TSM DB
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:43:12 -0500
The fact that Tivoli hasn't delivered decent tools for the database
is what prompts all this discussion.  The question is why?  I will
assume that they would like to deliver good tools.  Since they haven't
I ask, why not?  My guess is that with the current blackbox private
database they just can't make the tools we need.  If they really put in an
extrordinary effort, they would end up just reinventing wheels, and
the current database may end up looking like a poorman's db2.

My original note quoted someone in Tivoli that the database in a standard
dbms would be for high-end customers.  I currently have 11.8 million pages in
use
so I think I am high-end.  I expect to get to 20 million a year from now.
I am worried about scaling that high.  I know I could do it if the database
were multiple tables in db2.  Right now I don't know if a reorg is needed, but I
do know that I couldn't do it.  With db2 I would know if a reorg is needed and
I could do it.

Tivoli would be crazy to force everyone into db2 or oracle.  I just want an
option to go there if I think I could manage *sm better in a standard dbms.

--