ADSM-L

Re: ADSM DB Reorg necessary after expiration processing ?

1999-11-12 06:06:26
Subject: Re: ADSM DB Reorg necessary after expiration processing ?
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:06:26 +0000
Hi,

The unload/load/DB reorganise functionality is in TSM 3.7.  I did get a
chance to try this code in July and did the operation on a 60GB database
which has been in existance for about 4 years.  The gain was about 20GB;
the DB ended up just under 40GB and better optimised.

It took rather a long time (about two days) - and no service possible
while you are doing it.  Because we were replacing the hardware base
(RS6000/R40 to H70) in the summer it seemed a good opportunity.  It
worked well, but you don't know at the beginning how long it will take.
I think the unload took about 18 hours and the load about 30.  I think
platform, disks, tape drives all play their part in determining just how
long it takes.

I'm sure it was worthwhile on a database that was probably very
fragmented after 4 years.  It wouldn't be something to undertake lightly
or regularly to regain a small amount of space.  In fact the space gain
seemed to be temporary in our case as the H70 is doing a lot more work
and we have grown again to 60GB!  It's hard to say / quantify whether
performance is better as a direct result.

It's a useful addition to the facilities available, especially in the
abscence of any on-the-fly tuning facilities.  Hint hint!

And it is much, much faster than the previous unload/load code - which
did not have the optimization in (I believe).

Hope this helps, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services           Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK           Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275