ADSM-L

Hang in command line restores

1999-11-10 12:30:03
Subject: Hang in command line restores
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:30:03 -0500
One of the database administrators here attempted to restore several Oracle
databases on a development system last night. He used the command line
interface because he was dialing in from a home PC with no X server. He first
restored a single file with no difficulty. A few minutes later he opened two
more terminal emulator windows and started a command line restore of a
directory and its descendents on each of the three terminal emulator windows.
Each reported almost immediately that it was waiting for files from the
server. Each was still waiting for files from the server over an hour and a
half later. At that point he gave up and killed the dsmc processes.

The ADSM activity log shows an ANR0406I for the start of each session. It also
shows an ANR0480W message for each session, indicating that the session ended
because the connection with the client was severed. There was a single
ANR0546W message just before the third ANR0480W message:

ANR0546W Retrieve or restore failed for session 9864 for
 node HEPDEV3 (HPUX) - internal server error detected.

As far as I can tell, there were no other messages related to the three
sessions. I looked up ANR0546W in the messages manual. The manual advised me
to examine prior messages to determine the source of the error. As noted
above, there were no prior messages that shed any light on the nature of the
internal server error. Does anyone recognize this as a known problem?

The server is at level 3.1.2.20 and runs under OS/390. The client is an HP-UX
10.20 system, with client software at the 3.1.0.6 level.

Back around 1970 I ran some computer programs under Dartmouth BASIC. Nearly
all coding errors resulted in the message "Syntax error in line ...", which
essentially means "Something is wrong with this line, but I won't tell you
what it is." I am surprised and disappointed to see this style of error
reporting show up in ADSM nearly three decades later.