ADSM-L

3TB DB2 database backup

1999-11-10 11:43:09
Subject: 3TB DB2 database backup
From: Jason Turner <jason_turner AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:43:09 -0800
I would like any input on the following situation:

1 RS6000 S80 with 6 processors connected to a Shark
with 5TB  total disk space.  This box runs a DB2 6000
database with SAP/R3.  The  DB2 database is currently
3TB.  The network is gigabit ethernet, and the
customer estimates  500GB daily incremental backups
from this database.

They are looking for a single RS6000 that could backup
this 500GB in 6 hours.

They primarily want us to configure a TSM server &
library for this situation.  However thinking this
over with my co-workers we have come up with he
following.

500GB over 6 hours would require a thruput rate of
83GB per hour.  Gigabyte ethernet could definitely
handle this.  But a single session data transfer from
client to server maximum would be 27 to 31GB per hour.
  If you could do multiple client transfers 83GB per
hour would be possible.  Unfortunately with DB2
database you're just transferring one large log file
for the incremental backup, hence one session.

Can you recommend other solutions or combination of
solutions they should be looking at?  What are other
large DB2 customers doing?

=====