ADSM-L

TSM V3.7.1 32bit client Critique..

2015-10-04 17:37:11
Subject: TSM V3.7.1 32bit client Critique..
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I am constantly amazed at how IBM/Tivoli can't see the forest through the
trees.
Here are some observations since I started looking at the V3.7.1 client
interface:

*       The progress clock issue still remains. Once the restore has been
committed the clock should remain counting regardless of whether or not any
data is currently being transferred. Give the user some indication that the
session is still running . There should be more progress indicator messages
during a restore for example:
*                       Requesting Data..
*                       Requesting Tape Media..
*                       Mounting Tape Media..
*                       Searching Tape Media..
*                       Transferring Data..

*       During the restore there are two status windows now. The default
window showing a progress indicator stating "Preparing" and amount of data
moved. The second window, and more important window has lost some important
information and is not launched by default. This wind will only appear if
invoked manually or at the completion of the restore. Ok, a bit lame. And
while I'm at it why don't the windows scale to the main window automatically
and to the standard default. Hmmmm? A Programming 101 may be in order.

*       Some of the displayed information on the initial window for the
restore like "Backup sets" and "System object" should be optional by having
an on/off select option in the view pull down where you can check it on or
off, off being the default. I have 26,000 users now and I try to minimize
their confusion. I would also like to turn off menu items like Archive and
Retrieve. We don't use this function of adsm ooops TSM. Also, if you are
doing a backup the local drives are called "Local". When doing a restore the
local drives are now called "File Level". Interesting???

Others have brought up these points also and I am constantly amazed that I
have 26,000 desktop clients, 100+ Novell and NT clients, 100+ Unix clients
and not once did IBM pick up the phone and say: "Given that you have a large
number of clients, and must see where some improvements could be made, would
you mind giving us some input to the future design of the product?"

Nope, Nada, zilch, 0
I have tried to go the proper channels to no avail.
Hmmm .... where did I put the phone numbers of those others backup
vendors....

That's my opinion, we welcome yours.
disclaimer: My opinions ARE the opinion of my employer. I put in nicer words
though.

Have a nice weekend all...  Back to my testing.

CR

Cris Robinson
Sr. Technical Analyst
Enterprise Storage Management / TSM (ADSM)
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
603.431.8400.54837
mailto:cris.robinson AT libertymutual DOT com