ADSM-L

Subject: Generating "dismount volume" commands

1999-11-05 09:48:00
Subject: Subject: Generating "dismount volume" commands
From: Bob Brazner <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:48:00 -0600
Pat,

We too have this exact problem (i.e., tape fails to checkout during move drm).
In our case, I'm willing to wait until the next day's DRM at which time the
tape will (fingers crossed) get moved offsite.  We alert our operators to the
checkout failure via Tivoli, and they have a standing order to view the next
day's checkout's to ensure the tape finally made it.  So, for us, our "prior
day recovery point" becomes the day prior to that for the files on that one
tape; our I.S. management is okay with that.  You're trying to write a script
to prevent this and have asked if there's a "better way".  To me, the better
way is for ADSM (TSM?, Tivoli?, IBM?, whoever) to fix their code since this is
a clear case of a left hand right hand problem.  Well, that's my two cents.

Bob Brazner