ADSM-L

Re: How do you keep a 3590E busy enough?

1999-11-04 22:20:12
Subject: Re: How do you keep a 3590E busy enough?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:20:12 -0500
=> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:21:17 -5, "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT
firstenergycorp DOT com> said:

> On 3 Nov 99, at 16:31, John Schneider wrote:
>> For some of our smaller client backups, we could send the data to a
>> disk pool, then migrate it to tape, but that doesn't really cure the
>> problem, since then a disk pool volume reading at 9MB/sec is trying to
>> drive a 36MB/sec drive, which can't keep it busy. [ ... ]

> The only way I know of to increase the speed of a disk subsystem for
> sequential i/o is to strip the data across multiple drives.  [ ... ]

And keep in mind, this does not have to be a true striped filesystem.  To
refine your statement, "To increase the speed of a disk subsystem, use more
spindles"..

Now, you can do that very simply in ADSM: define your filesystems and storage
volumes in such a way as to guaruntee which spindle gets each volume.  Then
assign volumes to stgpools in such a manner as to use many spindles.

For a concrete example:

My ADSM storage pool disk is 6 9G SSA drives.  I tossed them all into an AIX
logical volume.  Then I defined filesystems, one per spindle.  I named them
for the hdisk in question, so I have (for instance)

/export/data/02
/export/data/07
.
.
/export/data/13

(Don't ask about the skips. :)

Then I defined several storage volumes on each filesystem.

A - 4G
B - 2G
C - Whatever was left ( ca. 1.7G )

Then, I assigned each stgpool such that there were never two volumes in one
stgpool on the same spindle.

If I had wanted to be amazingly anal about it, I could have analyzed my disk
needs in advance, and then made N volumes, N=stgpools, each proportional to
the need.  I decided this was overengineering.  (sigh... I _like_
overengineering)

>> And we nightly back up a 400GB database, so we have to go directly to tape
>> for that backup, we can't throw 400GB of intermediate disk pool at it!
>> Would even a small amount of disk pool help?

If you've got a 400G stream you toss to tape every night, nothing less than a
400G disk pool will really help you.  You _really_ want to avoid writing to a
disk pool at the same time you're migrating off it (because, for instance you
filled it up); contention city.

I'm confident I wasn't saturating a 3590C with a single stream from DB/2, but
I did get faster performace when I set up two streams.  Have you really really
proven that there's not some other bottleneck?

Allen S. Rout