ADSM-L

Goofy Thing with Traces

1999-11-02 14:56:22
Subject: Goofy Thing with Traces
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:56:22 -0600
        In the Advance ADSM class we realized the benefit of using the
INSTR_CLIENT_DETAIL so we starting using it on many of our clients.  For a
short time some one had the order for the trace settings as follows:
TRACEFLAGS              INSTR_CLIENT_DETAIL
TRACEFILE               "C:\Program Files\IBM\ADSM\DSMTRACE.LOG"
TRACEMAX                25

        When the settings are in this order, which we now believe to be in
correct,
the file we specify isn't used.  It is created and date and time stamps are
placed in it when we start and stop the scheduler service but the actual
trace information isn't there.  Instead a file called Program at C:\ is
created.  In it is the ADSM trace information.  We have since changed the
order to:
TRACEMAX                25
TRACEFILE               "C:\Program Files\IBM\ADSM\DSMTRACE.LOG"
TRACEFLAGS              INSTR_CLIENT_DETAIL

        Having the settings in this order solves the problem.

        The file C:\Program was causing problems for other applications though.
 PC
Anywhere was hanging on the file.  Also some proxy servers were going down
as a result of it.  I am opening a call with IBM to see why it just picks a
file called C:\Program.

        Have you seen this?  Can you recreate it?  It is pretty easy to
recreate.
Just copy the top set of trace settings to your dsm.opt file.  Stop and
start the scheduler service and look for a file called C:\Program.  In it
will be your trace information.

Thanks,
        Kyle
Kyle Payne