ADSM-L

Re: Management Classes

1999-10-31 18:14:22
Subject: Re: Management Classes
From: Adam Slesinger <aslesinger AT US.BNSMC DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:14:22 -0500
Paul,

I should have mentioned more in my response.  Our nodes have been separated into
three domain because they all belong to one of three groups, controlled by three
different sections in our company.  I do not believe we are limiting these
clients to one management class because, if need be, more management classes can
be defined in each domain.  If a group decides they need another archive
schedule with different retentions defined, we can do that for them.  For our
setup, one management class with one backup copy group and one archive copy
group for each domain works well and keeps it simple.  We do have DIRMC set up
for each client, but I do believe this only applies to backups and not
archives.  The additional benefit is not having to worry about directories being
archived to a mgt class that we do not wish which was a big problem for us a
while back.  A note in the readme for the 3.1.0.7 client says that by default
directories will now bind to the default management class  rather than the one
with the longest retention.  I still see this as a problem if I archive using a
mgt class that is not the default mgt class and both classes have different
destination tape pools...

Thank you for the comments and more are welcomed.

Regards,
adam
Adam Slesinger
Corporate Information Systems