ADSM-L

Re: HACMP config for ADSM

1999-10-29 15:41:44
Subject: Re: HACMP config for ADSM
From: Kells Kearney <kells AT WINTERLAND.MAINLAND.AB DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:41:44 -0400
Rodrigo Gazzaneo wrote:

[ ... snip .... ]

> Second is a particular opinion that although ADSM is
> installed on /usr/lpp/adsmserv, you should never
> keep your configuration files and even your ADSM
> startup directory on ROOTVG, because if you needed
> to restore from mksysb tape you would be erasing
> important application configuration.

     Like what?  I haven't seen anything that would prevent me from
doing so, and IMHO keeping the config files and startup files in rootvg
is a Good Thing(tm).  Bringing back the ADSM server then relies on
getting a simliar RS/6000, enough disk space to format logs and database,
and a dsmserv restore.  No other savevg tapes required.

   Obviously, the ADSM database and log volumes should reside on a
shared volume group between the primary and secondary machines.  If the
only thing in the volume group is the ADSM db and logs, there's not much
point in doing a savevg of this volume group -- you'll be overwriting them
with data from your last ADSM backup anyway.

  I guess the thing I don't understand from your statement is the part
about "if you needed to restore from mksysb tape you would be erasing
important application information".  If you're missing a file, you restore it
from ADSM.  If your system is torched, the first step of a mksysb is to
wipe the disks, lay down new logical volumes, filesystems and finally
restore all the files.  At that point, you've already erased ALL application
information and then restored it.  Like I said, I think I've missed your point.
Can you provide me with a specifc example of something that would be
messed up with a mksysb?

[ snip ]

Thank you,

kells