ADSM-L

3590B1A -> 3590E1A - Repairing VCR data

1999-10-27 21:21:52
Subject: 3590B1A -> 3590E1A - Repairing VCR data
From: Michel <mhuber AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:21:52 -0500
There have been several posts about the ANR8820W error, "repairing VCR
data" after upgrading from 3590 B drives to E drives.  However, I
haven't seen a solution posted yet.

Given that some posters have reported the ANR8820W errors at current
levels of 3590E
microcode, while some are not experiencing the errors, I suspect that
the problem lies in
the microcode level of the *source* 3590B tape drive(s).

I have a customer who is experiencing the ANR8820W errors *each* time a
tape written by a 3590B drive is read by a 3590E drive.  Since the VCR
data repair takes from 10-15
minutes per tape, the overhead associated with restoring a node
requiring 100 tape mounts
(they're not using collocation) would increase restore time by almost 17
hours!  If this
problem cannot be resolved, chances are very good that ADSM will no
longer be used at
this account.

I'm requesting information from people who have experienced this error.
What were the
microcode levels on your 3590B tape drives?  Have you found a workable
solution?

I'd appreciate assistance with this.  We're upgrading the tape drives (B
and E) to current
microcode levels tomorrow, and if this doesn't resolve the problem, I'll
open a PMR with
IBM hardware support.  I'll post any info we get.

Thanks!
Michel Huber
Gresham Computing, PLC