ADSM-L

adsm grumbles -- some vm (3.1) and some (win) client (3.7)

1999-10-27 12:30:18
Subject: adsm grumbles -- some vm (3.1) and some (win) client (3.7)
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:30:18 -0400
Good day all,

In the midst of our automation of ADSM/VM V3.1 and designing our
deployment of the V3.1 and V3.7 clients (still V2 for our DOS clients),
I've bumped into a number of problems and annoyances, some new
and some old, none worth my time reporting officially (enough elevator
music this week), but all problems.  Maybe some are
misunderstandings people here might help me see the light with;
maybe someone else will put some of these on their concern list ...

1.  The WinNT client GUI install does not install the scheduler
    service, nor does uninstall deinstall the scheduler service.  It
    should.  Really. Right away.  This is the cause of 50% of my user
    problems with TSM/ADSM.

2.  WinNT backup client (3.7) GUI does not display path info during a
    backup.  Fileids are displayed in a "Task List" box, but not path.
     Previous versions did and this information is sometimes helpful.

3.  WinNT backup client (3.7) GUI "Backup Report" box does not fit in
    the standard size backup client window.  All action buttons are
    not visible. There are no scroll bars.

4.  WinNT backup client (3.7) GUI has no listing, even fleeting as in
    previous versions, of actions on individual files. File
    DMSSCHED.LOG should be used, just as with a scheduled backup.

5.  (all platform) backup client (all versions) keeps a tape mounted
    on (VM server 3.1.2.40, all versions) after a restore ... until
    the backup client is exited.  Server "Mount Retention" should be
    honored, starting with the end of a restore action, not end of a
    client-server session.  That a tape is mounted for a client is not
    visible at the client, even if s/he were there to take action
    (many restores are started just before the owner leaves for the day).

6.  VM 3.1.2.40 server: I've never had a SELECT from CONTENTS with a
    WHERE limiting output on (only) non-key fields complete.  These
    are NOT joins. Here's an example:

      select c.volume_name,c.file_name from contents as c -
      where c.node_name='SOME_NODE_NAME' and -
      c.type='FILE' and c.filespace_name='SOME_FS_NAME'

    These just grind cpu with a pretty healthy working set of pages.
    I've let various SELECTs run for hours.  The same SELECT without
    the WHERE starts outputting immediately.  Still fails without
    aliases.

7.  VM 3.1.2.40 server, CMS admin client: SELECT * FROM CONTENTS >
    x.x.a eventually fills the output disk, as expected.
    Unfortunately, one gets a

   DMSERD107S Disk xxx is full

    message ... for every line of output that can't be written.  As
    S-level error should terminate the command (one message is
    sufficient!).

8.  VM 3.1.2.40 server, CMS admin client: on a long-running SELECT
    (try one as above!), "hx" should end the admin client session.  It
    does, but the admin client never reads the "hx" so when one tries
    to enter the next command after the CMS "Ready;" message, one
    receives "Not accepted"!   "#cp req" will cause CMS to read
    whatever is stacked (hx in this case).  This is an awful work-around.

9.  Same as above. The EMSG setting is turned off and not reset in
    above case.

10. Same as above, except enter "#cp req" instead of hx.  One gets an
    "interrupted by user" message with nothing else happening. Since
    nothing is read, nothing else at console may be entered.
    Work-arounds are (a) "#CP IPL" or (b) use other admin access to
    cancel the problem admin session.

11. Same as above, but another admin access cancels the admin session.
    The CMS admin client session does end, but with an ugly IUCV
    message, not a nice message saying the session was canceled by ...
    Here's a sample output text, as recorded in DMSERROR.LOG:

11:16:59 sessRecvVerb: Error -181 from call to 'readRtn'.
11:16:59 cuGetAdmCmdResp: Received a communication read error: rc: -181
11:16:59 ANS8051E IUCV communication error.
11:16:59 ANS8064E Communication timeout.  Reissue the command.

12. VM 3.1.2.40 server with CMS admin client: Despite
    "-out"/"-outfile"/"-tab", one cannot cause the result of most
    commands to be entirely on single lines (that is, either fields
    are split, or the verbose F=D format is used).  Previous versions
    (I can only attest to V1) would output (as wide as necessary)
    lines with one line per logical record.

13. (Still) VM 3.1.2.40 server with CMS admin client: One can enter a
    single command on the command line.  Unfortunately, because SET
    SQLDISPLAY WIDE is (only) a command, one cannot have that setting
    with a SELECT statement on the command line. :-(

So as to not have an unlucky number here ...

14. This space left intentionally non-blank.

Hope this helps someone (maybe Tivoli to have a better product?) ... I
really do like ADSM/TASDM/TSM/whatever.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System