ADSM-L

Re: Standalone Restore for Win95/98 PC

1999-10-26 18:13:14
Subject: Re: Standalone Restore for Win95/98 PC
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:13:14 -0600
Yes, you should take a look at the Bare Metal Restore Red Book for procedure
details but the basic idea is to install a minimal version of your Win95/98 into
a nonstandard directory (C:Winrep) then install an ADSM client and connect to
the network.  Then you will be able to restore your C: drive entirely.  Then
reboot into the original system and delete the extra OS copy in Winrep.
  This assumes that the restore restores the file that tells where to find
Windoww over the top of the file that told it to boot into Winrep.

This method works for NT as well though the advice is to use a repair partition
rather than a repair directory.

The method assures that restores are not attempting to write over system files
that are active.

Eric Lewis UW-Madison