ADSM-L

Re: ADSM DB and Recovery Log.

1999-10-25 10:43:27
Subject: Re: ADSM DB and Recovery Log.
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:43:27 -0400
> Is the recovery log portion of the ADSM database kept or backup
> somewhere else? For rollforward?

        [Prather, Wanda]
        When you run a DB Backup, the log is cleared ( I think except for
transactions still in flight.)
        So all the information you need for a restore is on the DB backup
tape.

> If the ADSM database is restored, is the log also restored? Will I
> lose the RollForward benefit then?

        [Prather, Wanda]  If you are using ROLLFORWARD mode, when you
restore your DB from a backup tape, the entries still in the log are used to
update the restored data base.  These would be entries created between the
time your DB backup tape was made and the time your data base crashed.  So
ROLLFORWARD would let you bring the data base up to current time, where as
NORMAL mode you can only recover up to the time of the DB backup tape you
use to restore.

        Normally this is only going to work for you in the case of an
on-site DB restore, say because of a disk crash, where you have your logs
available.  In an off-site/disaster recovery situation, you will restore
from the last DB backup tape you have available, and not roll forward from
the logs, which presumably burned down along with your data center ...

        When you actually restore a DB, the log is reformatted and cleared.

> Can I restore the ADSM DB using a deleted DB backup tape from
> offsite that was created in January,1999?
> On a daily basis we run the command (del volh tod=today-7 tot=now
> t=dbb).

>  [Prather, Wanda]    Assuming it has not been overwritten, yes.  You just
> specify the VOLSER on the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command.   Syntax is in the
> ADSM admin reference.
>

> Last but not least, is there an ADSM class that devotes discussion
> of the ADSM database(restore/disaster recovery)?
        [Prather, Wanda]  Sorry, don't know.  I did OJT.