ADSM-L

Restoral performance

1999-10-25 10:20:36
Subject: Restoral performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:20:36 -0400
In doing some detail reading I noticed a server option affecting
restoral performance, which I don't recall being discussed before.
The TCPBufsize server option (not to be confused with the TCPBuffsize
client option, spelling different) determines the size of the TCP
buffer which the ADSM server uses in sending data to the client.
With some values, the server will send the data directly from its
session buffer.  The documentation indicates that if the value is 32(KB),
the ADSM server is forced to copy the data from its session buffer to
a TCP buffer, and then flush the buffer when it fills.  (No explanation.)
That's obviously overhead.

Sites having problems with restoral performance may want to experiment with
varying this value.  The documentation says that the value may be coded as
0 for some operating systems, but doesn't say what this does.  I suspect
that, like TCPWindowsize, this results in ADSM adopting the operating system
send buffer size such that you'd always get the max without having to keep
track of what's coded in the operating system.  I'll pursue this with the
documentation folks.

    Richard Sims, BU