ADSM-L

Re: "Active Object Not Found" clean-up utility

1999-10-22 14:57:34
Subject: Re: "Active Object Not Found" clean-up utility
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:57:34 -0700
Hi Adam,

No, you do not need to install the 3.1.0.6 client; 3.1.0.7
is fine. What I really should have put in the README (in
retrospect) is "3.1.0.6 or higher".

If, after upgrading from 3.1.0.3 to 3.1.0.7 you have machines
getting the "active object not found" messages, then those
machines have the problem (whether it is 1 message or 1,200)
and you should run the utility on them.

If you have machines that get 0 (zero) of these messages after
the upgrade to 3.1.0.7, then they do not have the problem so
the utility does not need to be run on those machines. Further,
you should not the problem come up in the future on those
machines.

The reason for the warning about not using the utility unless
you are having the problem was to deter someone from using it
unnecessarily. But it sounds like you are having the problem,
so it is appropriate for you to use it. Unfortunately there
is no other way around this (outside of renaming or deleting
your existing filespaces or using a new nodename).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hey ADSMers,

We have upgraded a number of our NT clients from 3.1.0.3 to 3.1.0.7.
(Server is 3.1.2.40) As it stated in the readme's, for several clients,
we are experiencing the "Active Object Not Found" messages when the
client tries to backup files with international characters.  I was
looking at adsm.org to see what other people were doing to fix this
problem.  I came across a message from Andy Raibeck about a clean-up
utility available and so I called ADSM support.

Unfortunately, the two people I have talked to at support do not know
much about the utility and the readme's that come with it appear to be
old.  For example, the first install step is to "Install the 3.1.0.6
client"?  It also warns that this utility should not be used unless "you
are certain you need to use it"  Does this mean that I should do
something different for the client that only has trouble backing up only
one file with an accent in the name, as opposed to the client that is
failing to back up over 1,200?  Should I *not* run the utility right
after I install the 3.1.0.7 client on additional servers that don't have
the problem, even though I *might* have the problem in the future when
new files with international characters are put on the server?

If anyone has had to use this utility, your experiences and
understanding of this utility would be most appreciated.  Is there
perhaps, another way around this problem? Any gotchas?

Thanks for your time!

adam
Adam Slesinger
Corporate Information Systems