ADSM-L

Mount request w/tape already in drive

1999-10-22 12:09:20
Subject: Mount request w/tape already in drive
From: John Monahan <johnmonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:09:20 -0500
I'm a newbie to ADSM so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm trying to install/setup ADSM server on three different NT boxes
with single tape drives.  I've stopped at two because I can't get the
first two working correctly.  Haven't done any patches yet, ver
is 3.1.20.

I'm trying to backup directly to tape, and have everything (I think)
configured.  I insert the drive and label the tape and then created
the storage pool volume for that tape.  Scratch tapes are set to 0,
the tape volume is set for read/write access.

With the tape in, I start the backup and then I start getting mount
requests for the tape that is already sitting in the drive?  The only
way I've found to get the backup to continue is to reinsert the tape
at that time.

I've tried using the ADSM SCSI driver as well as the NT drivers
w/ generic devices created.  Either way, same problem on two
different servers with two different tape drives.  One is DLT, other
is 4mm DAT.

I know I have to be missing something here.  I just want backups
to run on that tape until it is full, then I will manually label the next
tape in the process.

It's not hardware because NT Backup works fine on the drives.

If there is a better way to do backups with single tape drives, please
point me to the way.  I have searched the ADSM website for pointers
to no avail and perused through the archives of this list, although I
find it difficult to search for anything.  The documentation that comes
with the software is marginal at best.

Coming from Arcserve, BackupExec, etc. background, and very
frustrated.  Any links to good reading documentation, etc. on the
subject are much appreciated.  I have no problems with RTFM if
I know where to find it.  I have a couple of redbooks, but they are
more orientated towards tape libraries, IMO.

Thanks,

John Monahan