ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Exchange

2015-10-04 17:38:07
Subject: Re: ADSM and Exchange
From: Trevor Foley [mailto:Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi Fredric,

I need to disagree with you on this one. The 'problem' is with =
Microsoft.
Their APIs DO NOT allow 'brick-level' backups. BackupExec, and any =
other
product that offers brick-level Exchange backups are doing so by the =
back
door ie not using the Microsoft supplied APIs.

Yes, these products may work now, but will they continue to work with =
the
next version of Exchange?

IBM could have implemented brick-level backups as BackedExec has done. =
But
they chose to stick 100% to the supplied APIs. Personally I feel very
comfortable with that. I would not have the same level of comfort with
products that do things outside vendor supplied APIs.

Trevor