ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Exchange

1999-10-22 04:47:22
Subject: Re: ADSM and Exchange
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:47:22 +1000
Hi Fredric,

I need to disagree with you on this one. The 'problem' is with Microsoft. Their
APIs DO NOT allow 'brick-level' backups. BackupExec, and any other product that
offers brick-level Exchange backups are doing so by the back door ie not using
the Microsoft supplied APIs.

Yes, these products may work now, but will they continue to work with the next
version of Exchange?

IBM could have implemented brick-level backups as BackedExec has done. But they
chose to stick 100% to the supplied APIs. Personally I feel very comfortable
with that. I would not have the same level of comfort with products that do
things outside vendor supplied APIs.

Trevor