ADSM-L

Many bad tapes after upgrade to 3590E

1999-10-21 11:02:33
Subject: Many bad tapes after upgrade to 3590E
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:02:33 +0200
Hello,

We've upgraded the 3590 drives in our
3494 to 3590E two months ago.

For the last two months we get the following
messages (sometimes several times a day):

ANR8830E Internal 3590 drive diagnostics detect excessive
media failures for volume 000524. Access mode is now set
to "read-only".

ANR8831W Because of media errors for volume 000524, data
should be removed as soon as possible.

We've reported this problem to IBM. Their response is that
the tapes are 'old' and can't handle the new 256 track format.
It is quite possible that this is true, but we have more than 50
tape set to read-only and this number is growing steadily.

Is there anyone else out there having this problem after
upgrading to 3590E???

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Systems Programmer       Academic Computing
alexander AT sara DOT nl        Services Amsterdam