ADSM-L

Re: who builds file list?

1999-10-21 11:08:31
Subject: Re: who builds file list?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:08:31 -0400
>I understand that an incremental backup builds a list of files first,
>before it starts copying files. This process of building the list seems to
>take quite a long time (compared to other backup products).
>
>Does anyone know whether it is the ADSM server, or the ADSM client who is
>doing the work at this stage? And what is the network traffic like during
>this time?

It's educational to watch the progress of a session from the server, and thus
you can see that for an ordinary incremental, the server sends the list of
Active files that it has, and the client compares against it as it runs the
file system looking for backup candidates.  Often overlooked: You can shorten
the time involved by using -INCRBYDate such that the client doesn't need a
list from the server, because it only looks for files more recent than the
last backup.  If your file system doesn't receive files with old dates (as via
'tar -x', for example), then such a backup may be good for you.
         Richard Sims, BU