ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Exchange

1999-10-21 07:48:36
Subject: Re: ADSM and Exchange
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:48:36 -0500
I agree with Chris on this one - 100GB!! Yikes.

For starters if you want to maintain this sort of Info Store you'll need at
least a 200Gb Disk Array (double the disk space in order to defrag the db)
I don't know what you're SLO's are for recovery but if you wanted to I
reckon you'll be doing a full backup every other day.

The incrementals for a store of this size are likely to be about at least
7Gb per day (we average 2-3Gb on a 30Gb store). If you had only to restore
one full backup and then one incremental (7 Gig of log files), even if you
had a speed demon of a server (4 or more 600Mhz processors) you're talking
at least 9-10hours to play back 7Gb worth of log files and if you're server
is only a dual processor then you could be waiting a lot longer. On top of
that it would take at least 15hrs to restore a 100Gb store with a 7Gb
incremental (and that's with a fast network). Total time for recovery would
therefore be in excess of 24hrs.

Most companies now consider email to be a business critical application.
Consolidating multiple exchange servers may save some money on the initial
hardware outlay, but the bigger they are, the harder they fall as more users
are impacted for possibly greater lengths of time. In order to maintain
availability on a store of this size, i'd be looking into clustering the
exchange server and I'd perhaps consider looking into EMC's timefinder for
BR - both very expensive options.

Nathan