ADSM-L

Slow response backing up files less than 1.5k (Novell client)

2015-10-04 17:38:07
Subject: Slow response backing up files less than 1.5k (Novell client)
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We are using ADSM v 3.1 and encountering an unusual problem when backing up
on
one particular Novell server.  The SYS volume backs up within a normal time
frame.  However, when it starts backing up the DATA volume it takes an
extremely
long time to complete.  This volume has around 30,000 files.  The one thing
that
is unique about this data volume is that about ALL of the files on this
volume
are between 1k and 1.5k.  When I rconsole into server, it goes into
"processing"
each individual file,greatly hindering backup completion.  My question is ,
is
there either a switch that can be placed in the client opt file or an option
setting at the server that addresses  small file size issues.  We have 10
other
Novell servers (4.11 and 5) that have a variety of file sizes,and have not
encountered any problem similar to this.

Thanks
Jeff