ADSM-L

Re: Poin-in-Time Recovery.

1999-10-20 18:07:35
Subject: Re: Poin-in-Time Recovery.
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:07:35 -0400
If you are doing a point in time DB restore, all that the volume history
file is used for, is so that ADSM can look up the VOLSER of the DB backup
tape that corresponds to the date you specify.  So that information should
be in BOTH the volhist files in your example.  In general, you will use the
most recent one.

You don't even have to use the volume history file at all...  IF you know
the volser of the DBB tape that you want to restore, you can just specify it
on the RESTORE DB command.

Whatever works.

The volume history information is also kept in the data base.  So after the
restore, the contents of the active volume history file (i.e., one that you
have specified in the dsmserv.opt file) will be updated to match what is in
the data base.

On the other hand, some people backup their volume history to other
sequential files, instead of having ADSM doing it automatically.  So theirs
would not change.

HOpe that makes sense!
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert