ADSM-L

AW: Need Help - backup of registry NT, failures

1999-10-20 08:42:08
Subject: AW: Need Help - backup of registry NT, failures
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:42:08 +0200
Hi Rene,
we had the same problem quite a time ago. I'll try to explain what leads to
the error:
Before ADSM starts backing up files it uses an NT API function to write the
contents of your systems registry into the adsm.sys directory structure. The
files written do have the same layout as the native registry files in
winnt\system32\config.
Now probably out of a timing problem ADSM tried to backup adsm.sys\*.* at
the SAME time as the results of the API call got written to this directory,
what lead to the conflict situation and resulted in the file being skipped.
I think the reason for the problem comming up on one machine and not on
another one could be that the registry uses varying amounts of space from
machine to machine, so the time overlap between the two functions occurs or
not.

The problem did never again occur with the newer NT client versions, we've
found 3.1.0.6q and .7f the most stable versions of V3.

When you don't have a possibility to install a new client right now but only
in a few day, and you want to have a valid copy of your registry, just do
one incremental session with the addistional option "-BACKUPREGISTRY=NO".
That skips the creation of the adsm.sys contents (and leaves those from the
last session active) and you can circumvent the conflict.

Good luck,
Best regards,
Michael
--