ADSM-L

Re: HELP NEEDED: I/O ERRORS WITH DLT IV-TAPES, AFTER UPDATING ADSM 3 .1.2.1 to 3.1.2.40

1999-10-19 11:15:03
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED: I/O ERRORS WITH DLT IV-TAPES, AFTER UPDATING ADSM 3 .1.2.1 to 3.1.2.40
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:15:03 -0400
At 09:33 AM 10/19/1999 +0300, Pentti H rk>nen wrote:
>Hello all!
>
> After updating ADSM 3.1.2.1 to 3.1.2.40 we have had
> several I/0 -errors with DLT IV-tapes. This will change tapes to readonly
>or unavailable access.  Now we have almost 5 per cent unavailable tapes from
>all of our tapes.

We have had DLT problems like this as well.  We have a long-running PMR
open with IBM and are attempting to diagnose and resolve the problem(s).  I
cannot say at this time whether the problems are solved in ADSM or not, but
it seems that at least progress is being made.

We are running firmware level 95 on our drives.

There is a new fixtest level (42) with fixes that address this DLT problem,
which I attempted to apply this weekend but had to back off.  At this time
I am not sure if the problems we encountered were with level 42, with a new
AIX level we installed, or something that I did wrong.  But - be cautious
about applying level 42 - I would only do it with the recommendation of
IBM/Tivoli support.  Also note that there is a note in the level 42 readme
that says you should have firmware level 95 on your DLT drives.

Wanda's recommendation for keeping your DLT drives clean is a good one.
Her analysis of what's happening (failed writes that ADSM thinks completed)
matches my understanding of the problem we are experiencing.  Keeping your
drives clean will help to minimize your problems until this problem can be
resolved in ADSM and DLT microcode.

..Paul