ADSM-L

Linux Client

1999-10-18 13:30:54
Subject: Linux Client
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:30:54 -0400
> Has anyone had experience with the linux client from the ibm site?  I
> have loaded it on a redhat linux 6.0 machine and am trying to connect to
> aix 3.2 adsm server.  The client is registered with the server and
> associated with a schedule but each time I try to connect from the
> client it crashes the server completely and I have to restart the
> server.  Any suggestions are welcome.

The information sent from an ADSM client to the server at the beginning of a
session includes an operating system version string. There is a limit on the
length of this string (I think the limit is 14 characters). The Linux client
sends whatever version string it gets from an operating system query, even if
it exceeds the length limit. The server code (at least at older service
levels) does not check for the version string being too long; if the string is
too long it overlays whatever storage follows the buffer allocated for the
version string. These storage overlays generally crash the server. I don't
know whether the server bug has been fixed in more recent service levels; when
this problem was first discovered IBM insisted that the problem was purely a
client bug and that there was nothing wrong with the server. You can probably
circumvent the problem by switching to a Linux level with a shorter version
identifier. If I remember the earlier postings on this topic correctly, full
production releases of Linux have version identifiers that fall within the
limit, while test releases often have version identifiers that exceed the
length limit.