ADSM-L

Re: need references for people using adsm for a large exchange in stallation

1999-10-14 09:05:43
Subject: Re: need references for people using adsm for a large exchange in stallation
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:05:43 -0500
Gary,

We backup about 70 Exchange Servers here, a mixture of 5.0 and 5.5. Info
stores on each one vary from 16Gb - 30Gb.

We use the ADSM Connect Agent for MS Exchange here. Our ADSM Servers are at
3.1.2.20 running on AIX 4.3.2.
ADSM Server hardware is RS/6000 S7A , 3494 Library, 3590 B1A Tape drives.

Our network is OC-12 ATM.

The Connect Agent works very well for us. We are typically able to backup a
30Gb Exchange Server in about 45mins to one hour.

The Connect Agent appears to leave a very small footprint on the Exchange
Server itself and we have had no problems running backups during the day
even.

Our Intel NT Servers are typically Compaq 6500 Dual Xeon 400Mhz with either
SCSI3 or Fibre Channel attached MSA's.

I don't know what your network topology is, but we have tried using the
Connect Agent with OS/390 and we had much poorer results.
Our Mainframe does not have an OSA, instead it relies upon CIP routers which
appear to severly impact IP performance.
In this environment we were only able to backup a 16Gb Info Store in about
2.5 hours.

IMHO the Connect Agent is really quite a reliable product which offers good
performance when the environment is suited to it.

Nathan.