ADSM-L

Bare Metal Restore for HP -UX 10.20

1999-10-14 10:25:15
Subject: Bare Metal Restore for HP -UX 10.20
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:25:15 -0400
> We want to Backup a HP_UX Server with ADSM and test now a complete Recovery.
>
> We use HP-Ignite to backup and recover the Operating System.
> Ignite produces a bootable media on a DAT Tape.
>
> The Ignite Backup will only be done after modifications in the OS.
>
> So we have to update the OS Filesystems from the ADSM Backup after
> recovering the Base OS.
> While doing this, we saw that ADSM could not recover a lot of Files beeing
> accessed by the OS.
> (instead of setting 'replace all' in dsm.opt)
>
> The former Backup Tool: Omniback replaces busy Files by renaming and
> recovering
>  them with the original Filename.
>
> How can we recover the OS Filesystems with ADSM?

I don't know how to restore all of the OS files, but I am not sure it is
necessary to do so. My site has run two disaster recovery tests involving
HP-UX systems. We installed HP-UX from distribution media and then installed
the same set of patch tapes as we had on the corresponding production system.
We then used ADSM to restore current versions of a few critical OS files
(usually just /etc/passwd and /etc/group) and all application files needed for
recovery. As far as we can tell, leaving most OS files in their freshly
installed state never caused any difficulties with the applications.